Thursday, April 10, 2008
Guitar Hero Therapy
The other day I spoke with an Occupational Therapist about Casey and how he seems to be lacking in the area of fine motor skills. My main concern is that he does not have the proper grip for a pencil yet. She said that it's not uncommon for kids to lack the proper grip even in Kindergarten, but that we could do things to help him achieve it. Her first suggestion was to break all of his crayons into small pieces so that he had to use that grip...great idea! She believes that he cannot do it simply because those muscles aren't developed enough yet. Well, the other day, I was watching him play Guitar Hero. It's very fun to watch him. He can complete songs on easy, and I was watching him push the colors down and strum, I started thinking that this was probably a great way for him to strengthen his hand muscles!! And guess what? He is starting to hold his pencil close to the "right" way, and he can now form a "C" and an "A" all by himself! Who would've thought??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
That is very exciting! Yeah, Casey!!
Post a Comment